Drone enthusiasts have been fascinated by the thrilling 5 inch drone flying style known as FPV freestyle. FPV freestyle, in contrast to traditional racing, combines daring stunts with accuracy and calls for pilots to maneuver around obstacles and tight spaces. The right motor selection is the secret to a superb freestyle drone.
We’ll look at key factors in choosing the best 5 inch FPV freestyle drone motor in this article, including size, torque, thrust, efficiency, and current draw.
We’ll also discuss the best 5-inch FPV freestyle drone motors currently available. Now let’s jump to the article!
What is FPV Freestyle?
In contrast to drone racing, which essentially requires navigating a course of obstacles as rapidly as possible, FPV freestyle involves executing stunts while navigating through small spaces, around obstacles, under trees, and through tight corners.
Pilots must accomplish all of these things while being conscious of their spatial positioning to prevent hitting the ground while executing a power loop or clipping a racing gate.
The official drone national championships regulations provide the following list of suggested trick difficulty levels. Points are given to each trick based on how tough it is.
- Flip – Complete a 360 degree forward or backward flip
- Roll – Perform a 360-degree left or right turn
- Gap Pass – Slowly cross a wide opening
- Multi Flip/Roll – back to back flips/rolls
- Flip/Roll with Hesitation – Flip or Roll 180 degrees, pause, and then finish the flip
- Gap Pass Flip/Roll – Perform a Flip or Roll while moving through a gap
- Power Loop – Circularly moves 360 degrees.
- Inverted Hangtime – Turn upside down and fall for a long time
- Knife-edge Flip – Drone vertical flip end over end like a cartwheel motion
- Flip/Roll – through a tiny gap
- Power loop – through a small or tiny gap
- Proximity Flip – Flipping close to or over an object while keeping it in camera view
- Knife-edge proximity – Flipping over an object on a vertical axis
- Rail slide – Intentional ground/obstacle skid with flip
Factors to Consider When Choosing a 5 inch Freestyle FPV Drone Motor
The “stator,” a component of brushless motors, is what is referred to by the size classification of brushless motors, which is often expressed as a 4-digit number, XXYY. The stator’s diameter or breadth is indicated by the first two numerals, XX, while its height is indicated by the final two digits, YY.
In general, your drone will have greater power even at its top speed or more rotations per minute (RPM) if its stator is taller. On top of that, the motor also becomes more responsive. A wider stator will produce more torque at a lower RPM.
For accuracy and easier turning, torque, also known as acceleration, is a function that is vital. It effectively regulates how quickly your drone will reach your goal speed.
The decision depends on your flying style. For example, with the 2207 and 2306, you may need motors with taller stators for better speed results if you are racing.
For freestyle drones, on the other hand, you may need wider stators, it has super dynamic balance control that provides a smooth and responsive flying experience.
Torque and Thrust
Wider stator motors have stronger low-end torque, which causes them to accelerate more quickly and react more quickly when changing directions.
In the past, when selecting FPV motors, drone racers frequently considered the stator size in order to obtain those with the highest torque.
The first thing that comes to mind when selecting a motor for your FPV drone is frequently thrust. Your drone’s motors should provide at least 10 lbs of thrust overall for every pound it weighs. Given that you have 4 motors, that is 2.5 pounds for each motor.
Although increased thrust results in faster acceleration, it’s important to keep in mind other elements like current draw and efficiency.
Efficiency and Current Draw
It’s critical to take motor efficiency into account when selecting an FPV drone motor. Motor efficiency is commonly determined by dividing thrust by power at 100% throttle, measured in grams per watt (g/w). A stronger motor is indicated by a more significant number.
Here are the efficiencies, current draws, and trust of the MEPS SZ2207 and SZ2306 with the same propeller:
The Best 5 inch FPV Freestyle Drone Motor
1. MEPS SZ2306 5 Inch Freestyle Drone Motor
Use a linear throttle for a more comfortable driving experience. Strong acceleration and rapid response motor is this one. The SZ2306 Motor is ideal for FPV freestyle due to its powerful acceleration, swift response, and outstanding efficiency.
A silky-smooth operation is possible thanks to its extremely low cogging torque. Each motor is put through its own testing to guarantee great quality. Utilize dynamic balancing control and the SZ2306 Motor to perform to your greatest capacity in freestyle. It is the greatest freestyle FPV motor available.
Features of MEPS SZ2306
- Perfect for a 5-inch Freestyle Drone.
- The Sunflower Unibell Design features the first fluorescent green color scheme in the industry.
- The Sunflower Unibell Design is the first in the industry to use fluorescent green. Smooth and responsive flying is made possible by a super-dynamic balance control. Advance the art of freestyle flying.
- Use a linear throttle for a more comfortable driving experience.
- Strong acceleration, rapid response motor is this one. Military-grade high-temperature enameled wire, 12.9-grade hexagon socket screws, TC4 reinforced titanium alloy shaft, 6082 aluminum bell.
2. Emax Eco Series Motor 2306
The experts at EMAX are constantly looking for new methods to incorporate brushless technology into motor designs. To enhance their efforts, they created the ECO II Series, a new range of brushless motors that maintain the same price while enhancing performance and durability.
The ECO II uses N52SH arc magnets instead of the older N48 magnets to increase performance over its predecessor and achieve higher RPMs and a more forceful throttle response. More torque and thrust are produced, giving pilots the adaptability to comfortably suit freestyle or flight situation requirements.
Features Emax Eco
- A completely new style with a rounder bell and more durable connection points.
- Complete mirror polishing results in a surface that sparkles and glistens in even the slightest hint of light.
- N52SH curved arc magnets have been upgraded for higher performance and a smaller air gap.
- EZO 9mm bearing for unmatched operation smoothness.
- Motor Mounting 16x16mm
3. iFlight XING2 2306 Motor
The XING2 motor, which was iFlight’s precursor to the XING motor, is now ready for announcement! These XING motors are smooth, dependable, and powerful, and they have been improved with even higher performance and manufacturing standards.
To translate your PID loop more quickly and achieve that locked-in sensation you’ve been striving for, use the XING2 motors.
The magnet air gap and stator lamination have been kept to a bare minimum by iFlight thanks to the premium materials utilized and the sturdy junction between the bell and shaft.
The magnetic flux, which is the magnetic equivalent of current, increases with increasing air gap size, resulting in lower reluctance and more power.
Features iFlight XING2 2306
- Our strongest prop shaft ever is a 5mm titanium alloy shaft!
- supple and durable NSK 9x9x4 bearings
- Curved arc magnets N52H with a center slot
- O-ring bearing gap prevention from XING
- collision-proof 7075 aluminum bell
- Dynamically symmetrical
- protection for motor wires
Final Words on 5 inch FPV Freestyle Drone Motor
Choosing the ideal 5-inch FPV freestyle drone motor is essential for a thrilling and accurate flying experience, to sum up. Size of the motor, torque, thrust, efficiency, and current draw are important factors to take into account.
Power and responsiveness are influenced by motor size, which is determined by stator dimensions. While wider stators provide dynamic control for freestyle drones, taller stators are best for racing.
While thrust should be balanced with the weight of your drone, torque guarantees quick acceleration and precise turns. Efficiency in grams per watt is a measure of motor power.
Different flying philosophies are accommodated by the MEPS SZ2306, Emax Eco Series 2306, and iFlight XING2 2306 motors. For a fantastic FPV freestyle experience, pick the option that most closely matches your preferences. A happy flight!